Monday, January 12, 2009

First day at the Statehouse

Indiana's legislative session began last week, but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't really start until the 26th thanks due to this week's activities related to inauguration and other items.  Next week the legislature has MLK day off and generally shuts down for the Presidential activities, so things are off to a slow start.  

Nonetheless, I can't help but think of my first day on the job with the Senate for my internship.  I was sitting there in my cubicle getting familiar with the surrounding and just minding my own.  I hear someone come around the corner and then I smelled something.  I look up and there is a big dude standing over me with a box in his arms and says "do you wanna buy a pelt?"  In the box were, I'm guessing at least 10-12 hides of various critters and varmints.

Long story short, this was a State Senator who had a constituent ask him if he'd bring them over and ask if anyone in the big city wanted to buy a skin.  Boy did I wonder what I'd gotten myself into, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel like that was kind of refreshing.

Each time session gets ready to start, I can't help but think of that Senator and my first day at the Statehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment